Friday, June 11, 2010

AT&T 3G MicroCell Install

Picked up a 3G MicroCell yesterday for my home.  Before I always had to run my phone in edge mode and would at best get 2 bars.  Even on edge I'd still have problems maintaining calls in my basement office.  After the install, now I get 5 bars of 3G coverage all throughout my house.  The signal almost reaches out to my backyard, but its not as big of a deal to get 3G from a "real" tower when walls aren't in the way.

The install was very easy.  Originally I had wanted to install it right next to my cable modem and router, but the documentation recommended maintaining distance from the router to reduce interference.  Luckily I have a switch in my office, which has a basement window.  My only concern is how well the voice quality will be maintained when running an application like bittorrent.  I couldn't find anything in the documentation that recommended putting the MicroCell between the cable modem and router, though I had heard recommendations to do so on the internet.  If problems occur I'll have to figure something out.

Overall I'm very pleased with the hardware so far.  I know some people will complain about the need to buy a $150 piece of hardware to supplement AT&Ts network.  For me I look at it as a minimal cost over the life of my AT&T plan (guessing 2+ years min).  Unless your next to a cell tower you can usually never guarantee 5 bars of strength throughout your home.  Given that I telecommute it is key that I can maintain communication while at home.  Its not for everyone, but I know for some it will be a valuable addition to their mobile service.

No comments:

Post a Comment