Thursday, June 17, 2010

AT&T 3G MicroCell - 1 Week In

So far I've been very happy with the service.  I get 5 bars of signal almost entirely through my house.  Since my device is in one corner of my home, I do notice a signal drop to 2 bars when at the far opposite end.  That's not a big deal to me and could be fixed if I wanted to take some time to rework the positioning of my components.

Call quality has on average been very high.  Initially I went with Option A in the user manual, which has you plug the MicroCell directly into your router.  What I found though is you will definitely see some degradation in phone quality if you are doing just about anything on the Internet.  To get around this I went with Option C, which isn't even listed in the quick start guide, but the supplement guide.  For this you put the MicroCell between your router and cable modem.  Test calls have been very promising.  With my download nearly fully utilized and a torrent downloading (usually a likely killer of voip) I had crystal clear calls with everyone. 

Time will tell if the voice quality remains strong with the new setup.

No comments:

Post a Comment